Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Spring Harvest 2009

Have been to Spring Harvest in Skeggy again this year, returning on Maundy Thursdy (that's how we say it up 'ere..!). There was much to reflect on whilst I was there, particularly with the difficulties that I've been having with church lately (which mostly accounts for the lack of blogging to be honest).

The theme for Spring Harvest this year is Apprentice: Walking the way of Christ. The first day was spent almost entirely in learning about learning styles, the leadership having taken the decision to organise us according to the best way that each of us learns as individuals. We were grouped into Pragmatist, Theorist, Reflector and Activist. By the end of the first day the 4 friends of us who went together were a bit weary of hearing about learning styles - 2 of us are trained teachers and the other 2 studied Christian Ministry at St Martin's College (now the University of Cumbria) and had covered all this kind of stuff ad infinitum before. A particular disappointment on the first day was to go to the activist stream only to be lectured on how activists don't like to sit and listen but like to get up and do things.... touch of irony there.

Fortunately, the remainder of the week was not spent telling us about what we would learn as the week progressed and we actually got stuck into the subject matter. I ended up going along to the Pragmatist stream (where I had intended on going initially - I ended up in the Activist stream on the first day almost by accident) and I was challenged throughout by both Steve Chalke and his colleague Jill Rowe. I am particularly happy to see how Steve Chalke really seems to have guided Spring Harvest towards a more social action/social justice route than I remember from a few years back. Along with my own recent dealings with church it has really caused me to consider what a Christian community really is and what it is called to do.

Steve Chalke responded to one question in a way that interested me greatly. The question was about how to do things for the community that didn't openly and ostentatiously have Jesus and by default evangelism as their purpose and driving force. And it interested me because I agreed so whole heartedly with his answer, but don't often hear it preached. He said that Jesus called us to love God with heart, mind and strength but equally to love our neighbour as ourselves. Not to evangelise our neighbours but to love them.

That is our purpose. Our beginning, our end, our driving force. If we have in the back of all that we do "we are doing this so that we can do that..." is that truely loving our neighbour? It's not about bums on seats, it's not about how many church run events we can have, it's not about how good we are at this or how good we are at that. It's about loving for the sake of loving. It is loving and expecting nothing in return.

And that is the greatest challenge. How can I be that person that loves unconditionally and where can I act out that love? How can we break down our constricting barriers of church and return to what we were called first to be?

Maybe being in the workplace is the best place to be. What a priveleged position I am in that I can not only teach a whole class of children but I can love them just for being themselves. I can show love to my colleagues as we go about the school day. And maybe as a school community we can take that love out into the village community. Maybe those children will go out and be loving wherever they may end up in the world.

And now I've got all bleary eyed and hopeful and ....

Yes, I'm a dreamer. And I'm here to stay.

9 comments:

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

I have long thought the same way and often had that sort of discussion with my friends who were more zealous for 'spreading the gospel' though what they tended to do was further alienate people.

I have always preferred just to have friends, and love them for who they are. They have always known what I am doing and find it quite interesting but it often seemed more important just to be friends. I remember having a discussion from some people from two churches about whether the Gospel should be preached at the homeless shelter of one of them. My church, at the time, seemed to think it should but I thought, with the other church, that they were called to feed and shelter the homeless and that that would be more effective.

The issue, or tension, for me was about where the line is between OTT evanglisation and shying away completely.

sam-last avenue said...

Sorry, stumbled across your blog - hope you don't mind me posting my thoughts.....

I would like to think that I do "both" "and" rather "either" "or".

If we truly truly love our neighbour, we will be sacrificial in our acts towards them, giving without wanting to get back, just like Jesus did for us - giving up everything to die a horrible death. But, also doesn't the gospel motivate us to share what is most important to us? I still believe in hell and if I really love my neighbour I don't want him/her to go there - so I pray that my acts of service will help them in this life, but that the gospel will help them in the next.

I think that the Bible supports this 'both' 'and' approach, as Jesus left heaven to rescue us. He was sacrificial for a purpose, not for the sake of sacrifice itself.

Grace and Peace

Emma said...

Hey Sam, welcome in!

Do you think that our good news is really all about what comes after death? I believe that's a part of it, but I'm not motivated to share the gospel because of the threat of hell. The gospel has an impact on our lives now. Now and later. On Earth as it is in Heaven.

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

I am with you here Emma.

I think that talk of sin and hell will just alienate people. Also, there is an extent to which people can see their 'friends' as projects rather than loving them for the people that they are. I think that starting the conversation with sin, judgement etc. is unhelpful and I tend to be more centred on the Incarnation: experiencing and meeting God. I would hope that my (genuine) friendship and service might reveal God to them and draw them to God. Then, that is what will convict them of repentance.

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

...their need of repentance and absolution etc. is what I meant.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'm 'Sam' (well actually Sam's Mum, as I was accidentally logged in as him).

No, I didn't say that the good news starts after death. I think that the good news starts not and carries on after death.

I also didn't advocate 'starting' with hell and judgement - that's going to alienate people. But never mentioning it, ever, will really tick people off on the last day when they say "Huh, I thought you were my friend....!" God gives opportunities.

I tend not to see my friends as projects either. But like someone who has the cure for the worst disease of all, I think its a bit mean to keep it to myself.

You CAN have friends, love them unconditionally, serve them sacrificially AND share the gospel. Its not either/or.
Whats more, if they think you are mad and reject everything you say, you still remain friends and love them unconditionally etc etc

Grace and Peace

Unknown said...

oops - typo 'not' should read 'now'
sorry

Fr Matthew McMurray said...

But never mentioning it, ever, will really tick people off on the last day when they say "Huh, I thought you were my friend....!"Without meaning to sound offensive, this is an example of one of the most bizarre types of evangelical rhetoric!

Somehow, when the last day comes and we all stand before Our Lord, the Apostles and all the Saints, I don't think we will be having conversations with each other! I think we will be far too busy prostrating ourselves before Our Lord, praying for mercy, for ourselves!

I also think that the metaphor of the cure for a disease is slightly unhelpful. Although through the incarnation, death and resurrection of Our Lord, we know that our sins can be forgiven, and through this comes perhaps the greatest aspect of our healing (i.e. freedom from guilt), I rather believe that the Incarnation of Our Lord is about much more than this kind of business transaction, for want of a better phrase.

I think that Jesus, being a man who lived with, broke bread with and taught various people, was a man whose primary objective was to show us the better and more perfect way, who was put to death for blasphemy and sedition (some might say) and who was given the victory over sin and death by rising again, that we may no longer fear death. And now he is risen, ascended and glorified - lifted up -
14 "And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.
16 “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life."
Jesus, therefore, is the Light of the World, to show us the way and lead us to God and we look to him to bring us to the Father's house. But at the root of it is a man who dwelt with, ate with, drank with sinners and proclaimed forgiveness and freedom.

I think that this a much more helpful starting point in terms of our faith, as it is one that is a life-long commitment rather than a momentary transaction.

12 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, who for the sake of the joy that was set before him endured the cross, disregarding its shame, and has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of God.

Unknown said...

I agree, my illustration was hypothetical at best - I was rather hoping that the point would come across....sorry, perhaps I didn't make that point quite as well as I'd hoped....

When I stand before the great white throne, as t'were, I will only be able to plead Jesus sacrifice for me, nothing that I have done.

The fact that it is not my works, but Jesus work, gives me a humble confidence in God's assurance to me.

I just would love my friends to know that too....