Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Christmas shopping

Today was a day of much wandering around town. I'm not a big fan of shopping (understatement), but decided that as I am regularly unoccupied at present I might as well use my time productively and begin my Christmas shopping, normally a task reserved for the few days of panic before Christmas day. Buying earlier does have its drawbacks though - without the fear element I am more inclined to wander aimlessly without a notion of what to buy. I did make significant inroads however so came home satisfied.

I don't like the aspect of Christmas shopping whereby you have to buy something for everyone on your list... by that I mean that I don't always find something that I think someone will really love and so inevitably buy something, anything, just so that I have given them something on Christmas day. This kind of gift giving seems so wasteful. I am a big fan of alternative gifts from charities, such as a set of school books for a school child in Uganda etc. My sister bought me something similar for my birthday this year. Still, it's all very well to be bought these things, and I am sure there are people I could buy them for myself, but for most people on my gift list an alternative gift would be inappropriate. I think the whole point of giving is to find something that that person would appreciate, something personal. Buying an alternative gift for someone who would not appreciate it would be like buying a dvd that I wanted to watch and giving it to my dad... we have very different tastes in film!

No comments: