Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Angles, Angles all around

No, not my spelling error... I have been teaching the Christmas story and this is a common misspelling in the books I have marked. One child pointed out to me that her neighbour had written angles instead of angels because they'd been learning all about angles in numeracy recently and had been learning the spelling!

On another angel note, Sarah and I have returned to church to make another angel (back by popular demand!!) this time to go up in church for the Christmas services. We had to go out again to buy the resources so we had different materials to make him out of. As a result he looks much different. I can't quite decide which one I prefer.

The board, expertly put together by Dave and then backed in black.

"Look! It's as big as me!"

The finished angel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't be bothered to log in! Pope Gregory is supposed to have made the same connection between Angles and Angels before he launched the mission to covert Britain.

I quote from Wikipedia

The Angles are the subject of a legend about Pope Gregory I (ca. 540–604 C.E.). As an abbreviated version of the story goes, Gregory happened to see a group of Angle children from Deira for sale as slaves in the Roman market. Struck by the beauty of their fair-skinned complexions and bright blue eyes, Gregory inquired about their background. When told they were Angles, he replied with a Latin pun that translates well into English: “Non Angli, sed angeli” ("Not Angles, but angels"). Supposedly, he thereafter resolved to convert their pagan homeland to Christianity.